Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dealing with the Inlaws and FOO Family of origin

My DH wears a 2XL shirt. EVERY year (until this year, cause they are CO), she buys him a L or XL. She *forgets* every year. "It was a (insert sports team here) shirt - I thought you could wear it!".

My name has about 5 different ways to spell it. I have gotten a keychain, a Christmas Tree ornament and a celebratory wine bottle (for our engagement, so we had been together for 3 years) with my name misspelled.

When she posted on FB that I was going into labor and misspelled my name, DH went off on her. She told me to tell him to "Calm down". I almost slapped her, but we were still hoping for a decent relationship.

I wish she would say it to me now.

My inlaws are funny in that they always seem to put time and thought into their gifts (or they make it seem like they do) but then always come out with the weirdest (cheapest) things.

Bridal shower- floor model of a vacuum similar to the one I registered for. It didn't work (they knew this they told us where we could order the replacement parts) and came with photocopied instructions. Worst part- they told DH they got us the vacuum in advance and had him take it off the registry :( so no vacuum after all

Wedding- iPhone case with a zebra pattern. Totally odd, gave it to me at the rehearsal dinner. May be odd that they even gave me a gift at all since they are the parents of the groom?

Baby shower- diaper liners. We didn't cloth diaper.

Christmas for DH- some really odd ball thing that spins. Like a fancy toy. I think he sold it on eBay because I don't remember seeing much of it from then on.

Anywho, you get the idea ;)

I remember Christmas 2009, when I received absolutely nothing from my in-laws-they were still pissed at me because several weeks before we had told them baby #3 was on the way, due in May. My husband and our other 2 kids got gifts (I forget what) but I got nothing. Their gifts usually suck anyway, but it was the p/a message there. Never mind that your son played a part in the whole pregnancy thing, too. Christmas Day mil and fil had showed up at our house with their gifts, mil asked to dress my 22 mo. old, as we were going out for lunch, decided that no clothing he owned was "nice enough" and yelled at me for not asking for clothes for the kids for Christmas. Just one of many reasons I keep me and my kids away from this woman.

When that baby #3 did arrive, mil asks what I need for the baby. Well, nothing, except for diapers, lol. He was my third son, still had all the baby gear, toys and a TON of clothes. Other gift givers followed my advice and gave gift cards for Target or BRU (for diapers and formula) or diapers. Mil comes over one day with a plastic grocery bag and says "it's a present for E". Mil then brags about how she went hit yard sales for a baby gift. "I know you said you didn't need clothes, but this kid is so small". FTR, he weighed 7 lb. 14 oz.-that's average, not small. My hello kitty phone cases other 2 boys were 9 and 8 lbs. and if it really bothered her that much, I'm sure Wal Mart sells newborn size clothes. In this bag are about 20 onesies. About 4 of them are pink or lavender. Another 5 are 6-9 month size-wth? The rest had barf/burp/diaper stains on them from the previous owner. I said thanks and after she left, threw archos 101 leather case the bag away. I wouldn't dream of giving someone that as a baby gift, even if I were on a very limited budget, which mil was not.

One year for my birthday MIL gave me a nice card and wrote in It "let's celebrate with a girls pedicure day!!". Then she said she would take me, both SILs and herself for pedicures the next week. I thought this sounded great as we all got along then and my bday is in the spring and you can keyboard buddy case iphone 4 always use a pedicure. She then goes on to tell me how she just bought a new foot soaking tub and pedicure tools and a bunch of new polishes too! Her gift of a pedicure was for her to give me the pedicure??!! Wtf!! My DH couldn't stop laughing. I kept canceling until she finally stopped asking. Haven't ever gotten a birthday gift since. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Please review the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use before using this site. Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis